Help Article | About status privacy
Your status updates can only be seen by someone if you have their phone number in your phone's address book and they have your phone number in their phone’s address book. You can choose to share your status updates with all your contacts or selected contacts only. By default, your status updates are shared with all your contacts.
- Tap Status.
- Android: Tap More options> Status privacy.
- iPhone: Tap Privacy.
- Android: Tap More options
- Select one of the following options:
- My contacts: All your contacts will see your status updates.
- My contacts except…: All your contacts except people you select will see your status updates.
- Only share with…: Only the contacts you select will see your status updates.
- Changes to your privacy settings won’t affect status updates you’ve sent already.
- If you've disabled read receipts, you won't be able to see who's viewed your status updates. If a contact has disabled read receipts, you won't be able to see if they've viewed your status updates.
- Learn how to use status on: Android | iPhone
- Learn how to share WhatsApp status updates to other apps in this article.
Simple, Reliable Messaging
Message your friends and family for free*. WhatsApp uses your phone's Internet connection to send messages so you can avoid SMS fees
Groups to keep in touch
Keep in touch with the groups of people that matter the most, like your family or coworkers. With group chats, you can share messages, photos, and videos with up to 256 people at once. You can also name your group, mute or customize notifications, and more.
WHATSAPP ON WEB AND DESKTOP
Keep the Conversation Going
With WhatsApp on the web and desktop, you can seamlessly sync all of your chats to your computer so that you can chat on whatever device is most convenient for you. Download the desktop app or visit web.whatsapp.com to get started
WHATSAPP VOICE AND VIDEO CALLS
With voice calls, you can talk to your friends and family for free*, even if they're in another country. And with free* video calls, you can have face-to-face conversations for when voice or text just isn't enough. WhatsApp voice and video calls use your phone's Internet connection, instead of your cell plan's voice minutes, so you don't have to worry about expensive calling charges.
* Data charges may apply. Contact your provider for details.
Security by Default
Some of your most personal moments are shared on WhatsApp, which is why we built end-to-end encryption into the latest versions of our app. When end-to-end encrypted, your messages and calls are secured so only you and the person you're communicating with can read or listen to them, and nobody in between, not even WhatsApp.
PHOTOS AND VIDEOS
Share Moments that Matter
Send photos and videos on WhatsApp instantly. You can even capture the moments that matter to you most with a built-in camera. With WhatsApp, photos and videos send quickly even if you're on a slow connection.
Document Sharing Made Easy
Send PDFs, documents, spreadsheets, slideshows and more, without the hassle of email or file sharing apps. You can send documents up to 100 MB, so it's easy to get what you need over to who you want.
Say What's On Your Mind
Sometimes, your voice says it all. With just one tap you can record a Voice Message, perfect for a quick hello or a longer story.