Help Article | How to call a WhatsApp contact on Portal
To call a WhatsApp contact on Portal, you must have WhatsApp open or running in the background on your mobile phone.
- On your Portal, tap or select All Contacts or Contacts > WhatsApp.
- You need to make at least one call for All Contacts to appear. Furthermore, All Contacts is unavailable on Portal TV.
- Find, then tap or select the contact you want to call.
- Tap or select:
- Audio if you want to make a voice call
- Video if you want to make a video call
- Tap or select Answer to accept the call.
- Tap or select Not Now to decline the call.
- If you want to make a group call, tap or select during the call. Find, then tap or select another contact you want to add. Tap or select Call. A total of four participants can be on a group call. However, if a call is started from WhatsApp on an Android phone or iPhone, you can have a total of eight participants, including yourself.
- If you want to hide a contact, tap or select All Contacts or Contacts > WhatsApp > the contact you want to hide > > Hide Contact > Hide.
- If you want to unhide a contact you’ve hidden, tap or select Settings > Privacy > Hidden WhatsApp Contacts. Open WhatsApp on your phone or WhatsApp Web or WhatsApp Desktop on your computer. Then open the individual chat with "Portal from Facebook" to view the confirmation code that was sent. On your Portal, enter the confirmation code, then tap or select Done > Unhide next to the contact you want to unhide.
- If you want to hide a suggested or recent contact from Home on your Portal, you can press and hold the contact you want to hide, then tap or select . Currently, there’s no option to unhide a suggested or recent contact.
- Hiding a contact only hides the contact on your Portal and isn’t the same as blocking a contact on WhatsApp. Hidden contacts won’t be able to call your Portal and you won’t be able to call them.
- How to switch between WhatsApp voice and video calls on Portal
- Learn more about Portal in the Portal Help Center.
Simple, Reliable Messaging
Message your friends and family for free*. WhatsApp uses your phone's Internet connection to send messages so you can avoid SMS fees
Groups to keep in touch
Keep in touch with the groups of people that matter the most, like your family or coworkers. With group chats, you can share messages, photos, and videos with up to 256 people at once. You can also name your group, mute or customize notifications, and more.
WHATSAPP ON WEB AND DESKTOP
Keep the Conversation Going
With WhatsApp on the web and desktop, you can seamlessly sync all of your chats to your computer so that you can chat on whatever device is most convenient for you. Download the desktop app or visit web.whatsapp.com to get started
WHATSAPP VOICE AND VIDEO CALLS
With voice calls, you can talk to your friends and family for free*, even if they're in another country. And with free* video calls, you can have face-to-face conversations for when voice or text just isn't enough. WhatsApp voice and video calls use your phone's Internet connection, instead of your cell plan's voice minutes, so you don't have to worry about expensive calling charges.
* Data charges may apply. Contact your provider for details.
Security by Default
Some of your most personal moments are shared on WhatsApp, which is why we built end-to-end encryption into the latest versions of our app. When end-to-end encrypted, your messages and calls are secured so only you and the person you're communicating with can read or listen to them, and nobody in between, not even WhatsApp.
PHOTOS AND VIDEOS
Share Moments that Matter
Send photos and videos on WhatsApp instantly. You can even capture the moments that matter to you most with a built-in camera. With WhatsApp, photos and videos send quickly even if you're on a slow connection.
Document Sharing Made Easy
Send PDFs, documents, spreadsheets, slideshows and more, without the hassle of email or file sharing apps. You can send documents up to 100 MB, so it's easy to get what you need over to who you want.
Say What's On Your Mind
Sometimes, your voice says it all. With just one tap you can record a Voice Message, perfect for a quick hello or a longer story.