Help Article | About Google Drive backups
The easiest way to transfer your WhatsApp data to a new phone is by using Google Drive. Google Drive is offered, developed, and operated by Google. We recommend connecting your phone to Wi-Fi prior to backing up your chats to Google Drive, as backup files can vary in size and consume mobile data, causing additional charges. Beginning April 19, 2022, you will need to backup to Google Drive every 5 months to avoid the loss of deletion.
- WhatsApp backups do not count against your Google Drive storage quota.
- WhatsApp backups are tied to the phone number and Google account they were created on.
- WhatsApp backups that haven't been updated in 5 months may automatically be deleted by Google. To avoid the loss of any backups, we recommend backing up your WhatsApp data often.
- The first backup might take a while to complete. We recommend leaving your phone connected to a power source.
- Every time you create a Google Drive backup using the same Google account, the previous backup will be overwritten by Google. There's no way to restore an older Google Drive backup.
- Media and messages you back up aren't protected by WhatsApp end-to-end encryption while in Google Drive unless you choose to turn on end-to-end encrypted backups.
- How to create a Google Drive backup
- How to restore your chat history
- Can’t create or restore a Google Drive backup
Simple, Reliable Messaging
Message your friends and family for free*. WhatsApp uses your phone's Internet connection to send messages so you can avoid SMS fees
Groups to keep in touch
Keep in touch with the groups of people that matter the most, like your family or coworkers. With group chats, you can share messages, photos, and videos with up to 256 people at once. You can also name your group, mute or customize notifications, and more.
WHATSAPP ON WEB AND DESKTOP
Keep the Conversation Going
With WhatsApp on the web and desktop, you can seamlessly sync all of your chats to your computer so that you can chat on whatever device is most convenient for you. Download the desktop app or visit web.whatsapp.com to get started
WHATSAPP VOICE AND VIDEO CALLS
With voice calls, you can talk to your friends and family for free*, even if they're in another country. And with free* video calls, you can have face-to-face conversations for when voice or text just isn't enough. WhatsApp voice and video calls use your phone's Internet connection, instead of your cell plan's voice minutes, so you don't have to worry about expensive calling charges.
* Data charges may apply. Contact your provider for details.
Security by Default
Some of your most personal moments are shared on WhatsApp, which is why we built end-to-end encryption into the latest versions of our app. When end-to-end encrypted, your messages and calls are secured so only you and the person you're communicating with can read or listen to them, and nobody in between, not even WhatsApp.
PHOTOS AND VIDEOS
Share Moments that Matter
Send photos and videos on WhatsApp instantly. You can even capture the moments that matter to you most with a built-in camera. With WhatsApp, photos and videos send quickly even if you're on a slow connection.
Document Sharing Made Easy
Send PDFs, documents, spreadsheets, slideshows and more, without the hassle of email or file sharing apps. You can send documents up to 100 MB, so it's easy to get what you need over to who you want.
Say What's On Your Mind
Sometimes, your voice says it all. With just one tap you can record a Voice Message, perfect for a quick hello or a longer story.