Help Article | How to change your phone number
- Make sure your new phone number can receive SMS or phone calls and has an active cellular connection.
- Make sure your old phone number is currently registered on WhatsApp on your phone. You can find your registered phone number by opening WhatsApp Settings and tapping your profile photo.
- Open WhatsApp Settings.
- Tap Account > Change Number > Next.
- Enter your old phone number in the first field and your new phone number in the second field, both in full international format.
- Tap Next.
- If you turn on Notify Contacts, you can choose if you want to notify All contacts, Contacts I have chats with or Custom... If you select Custom..., you'll need to search for or select the contacts you want to notify, then tap Done.
- Your group chats are automatically notified when you change your phone number, regardless of whether you choose to notify your contacts.
- Tap Done.
- You'll then be prompted to register your new phone number. Learn more in this article.
- Install WhatsApp.
- Register your new phone number again.
- Restore your backup.
- About changing phone numbers
- About changing phones
- How to change your phone number on Android
- Can’t change phone number
Simple, Reliable Messaging
Message your friends and family for free*. WhatsApp uses your phone's Internet connection to send messages so you can avoid SMS fees
Groups to keep in touch
Keep in touch with the groups of people that matter the most, like your family or coworkers. With group chats, you can share messages, photos, and videos with up to 256 people at once. You can also name your group, mute or customize notifications, and more.
WHATSAPP ON WEB AND DESKTOP
Keep the Conversation Going
With WhatsApp on the web and desktop, you can seamlessly sync all of your chats to your computer so that you can chat on whatever device is most convenient for you. Download the desktop app or visit web.whatsapp.com to get started
WHATSAPP VOICE AND VIDEO CALLS
With voice calls, you can talk to your friends and family for free*, even if they're in another country. And with free* video calls, you can have face-to-face conversations for when voice or text just isn't enough. WhatsApp voice and video calls use your phone's Internet connection, instead of your cell plan's voice minutes, so you don't have to worry about expensive calling charges.
* Data charges may apply. Contact your provider for details.
Security by Default
Some of your most personal moments are shared on WhatsApp, which is why we built end-to-end encryption into the latest versions of our app. When end-to-end encrypted, your messages and calls are secured so only you and the person you're communicating with can read or listen to them, and nobody in between, not even WhatsApp.
PHOTOS AND VIDEOS
Share Moments that Matter
Send photos and videos on WhatsApp instantly. You can even capture the moments that matter to you most with a built-in camera. With WhatsApp, photos and videos send quickly even if you're on a slow connection.
Document Sharing Made Easy
Send PDFs, documents, spreadsheets, slideshows and more, without the hassle of email or file sharing apps. You can send documents up to 100 MB, so it's easy to get what you need over to who you want.
Say What's On Your Mind
Sometimes, your voice says it all. With just one tap you can record a Voice Message, perfect for a quick hello or a longer story.