Help Article | Lost and stolen phones
In the unfortunate case that your phone becomes lost or stolen, we can help make sure that no one can use your WhatsApp account.
- Lock your SIM card. You should call your mobile provider as soon as possible to lock your SIM card. It will then not be possible to verify the account on that phone again, as you must be able to receive SMS or phone calls to verify an account.
- At this point, you have two choices:
- Use a new SIM card with the same number to activate WhatsApp on your new phone. This is the fastest way to deactivate your account on the stolen phone. WhatsApp can only be activated with one phone number on one device at a time.
- Even with the SIM card locked and phone service disabled, WhatsApp can be used on Wi-Fi if you do not contact us with an account deactivation request.
- We are not able to help you locate your phone. Remote WhatsApp deactivation from another device is not possible.
- If you created a backup using Google Drive, iCloud or OneDrive before your phone went missing, you might be able to restore your chat history. Learn how to restore messages on: Android | iPhone.
- The account isn't completely deleted.
- Your contacts can still see your profile.
- Your contacts can send you messages, which will remain in a pending state for up to 30 days.
- If you reactivate your account before it is deleted, you will receive any pending messages on your new phone and you will still be in all of your group chats.
- If you don't activate your account within 30 days, it will be completely deleted.
Simple, Reliable Messaging
Message your friends and family for free*. WhatsApp uses your phone's Internet connection to send messages so you can avoid SMS fees
Groups to keep in touch
Keep in touch with the groups of people that matter the most, like your family or coworkers. With group chats, you can share messages, photos, and videos with up to 256 people at once. You can also name your group, mute or customize notifications, and more.
WHATSAPP ON WEB AND DESKTOP
Keep the Conversation Going
With WhatsApp on the web and desktop, you can seamlessly sync all of your chats to your computer so that you can chat on whatever device is most convenient for you. Download the desktop app or visit web.whatsapp.com to get started
WHATSAPP VOICE AND VIDEO CALLS
With voice calls, you can talk to your friends and family for free*, even if they're in another country. And with free* video calls, you can have face-to-face conversations for when voice or text just isn't enough. WhatsApp voice and video calls use your phone's Internet connection, instead of your cell plan's voice minutes, so you don't have to worry about expensive calling charges.
* Data charges may apply. Contact your provider for details.
Security by Default
Some of your most personal moments are shared on WhatsApp, which is why we built end-to-end encryption into the latest versions of our app. When end-to-end encrypted, your messages and calls are secured so only you and the person you're communicating with can read or listen to them, and nobody in between, not even WhatsApp.
PHOTOS AND VIDEOS
Share Moments that Matter
Send photos and videos on WhatsApp instantly. You can even capture the moments that matter to you most with a built-in camera. With WhatsApp, photos and videos send quickly even if you're on a slow connection.
Document Sharing Made Easy
Send PDFs, documents, spreadsheets, slideshows and more, without the hassle of email or file sharing apps. You can send documents up to 100 MB, so it's easy to get what you need over to who you want.
Say What's On Your Mind
Sometimes, your voice says it all. With just one tap you can record a Voice Message, perfect for a quick hello or a longer story.